Client: Sinohydro Sagarmath Power Co (P) Ltd
Funding Agency: Sinohydro Sagarmath Power Co (P) Ltd
Period: November 2013 to January 2016
Consulting Association: GEOCE Consultants (P) Ltd
Approx. Value of Services: NRs 4.2 million
Professional Staff Input: National (70) person months
Environmental monitoring during construction of 50 MW hydroelectric project in Lamjung District to ensure compliance of environmental management plan (EMP) based on the provision made in the EIA report considering preventive, compensatory and mitigation measures for the beneficial and adverse mitigation measures. The construction of hydropower project was completed in July 2016 and power generation started from October 2016.
The detail scope of services comprised:
- Assist the proponent (Sinohydro Sagarmatha Power Co. (P) Ltd) in the implementation of the proposed compensation and mitigation measures of the environmental management plan of EIA Report of the Upper Marshyangdi A (UM-0) Hydroelectric Project (or Project).
- Formation of local coordination committee
- Identification of training institutes for training the local people in construction activities, income generation
- Ensure compensatory plantation for the loss of the forest area
- Getting clearance for tree cutting from District Forest Office
- Together with local coordination committee, prepare the modalities of implementation of corporate and social responsibilities specified in EIA report
- Carry out the monitoring of the environmental impact on physical, biological and social environment as suggested in EIA report.
- Carry out counseling to the project affected families on the effective use of the money
- Carry out impact assessment on physical, biological and socio-economy by the construction activities.
- Review and update environmental monitoring plan of EIA Study of the project.
- Carry out monitoring of compliance of proposed compensatory measures and mitigation measures as per f updated EMP of Project.
- Prepare and submit quarterly environmental monitoring report to Ministry of Energy and Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment
- Assist Ministry level monitoring team and carry out the monitoring