Client: Department Roads
Funding Agency: World Bank
Period: March 2008 to February 2011
Consulting Association: GEOCE Consultants (P) Ltd, MULTI and GEC JV
Approx. Value of Services: Total-NRs 19.8 Million; GEOCE’s part NRs 11.89million.
Professional Staff Input: National (83) person months.
Road Sector Development Project (RSDP) as follow on of Road Maintenance and Development Project (RMDP) assimilates three components – upgrading of about 364 km hill roads to all weather sealed gravel standards enhancing accessibility of 6 district headquarters; periodic maintenance of 500 km strategic roads; and institutional strengthening. The consulting assignment was for design and construction supervision of periodic maintenance of 182 km roads. Major scope of services included:
1. Preliminary Assessment
Preliminary assessment of 9 candidate roads (total 192 km), which included preliminary survey, analysis, ranking, prioritization and selection of total 182 km length of following road/road sections for periodic maintenance under FYPM. This was done following DOR Policy on Periodic Maintenance Planning.
- Nagarjun-Tandi road, Nagarjun-Thulo Khola section of Kathmandu-Trishuli Road, 9.7 km
- Pipalbot-Naubise-Simle road section of Tribhuvan Rajpath, 21.6 km
- Mugling Bridge-Anbukhaireni section of Prithivi Highway, 7.2 km
- Anbukhaireni-Gorkha Road, 24.7 km
- Butwal-Kothi road section of East-West Highway, 22.5 km
- Hetauda-Pathalaiya road, Chure-Pathlaiya section 19.2 km
- Birgunj-Kalaiya road, Dudhaura Khola-Kalaiya section, 6.3 km
- Biratnagar-Itahari-Dharan-Bhedetar road section of Koshi Highway, 50 km
- Kakarbhitta-Mawa section of East-West Highway, 20.9 km (selected stretches)
2. Design and Preparation of Bid Documents
- Survey and investigation comprising visual survey, pavement strength evaluation survey, confirmatory soil investigation, traffic and axle load surveys (13 locations), appraisal of off-road works (i.e. road inventory survey) and construction materials survey.
- Pavement design comprising resurfacing with DBST, strengthening of asphalt concrete and crushed stone base overlay,
- Design of drainage improvement
- Design of essential off-road works (retaining structures, minor bridge maintenance)
- Preparation of environmental and social management plan
- Preparation of bid documents for procurement of civil works contracts for periodic maintenance intervention using WB, Standard Bidding Documents, May 2006
3. Construction Supervision
- Construction supervision, contract administration and quality control of periodic maintenance works of 160 km roads/road sections divided into 7 contract packages. Total value of works NRs 307.9 million.
- Assistance to Division Road Offices-Kathmandu, Bharatpur, Damauli, Butwal, Hetauda, Morang and Jhapa in implementation of periodic maintenance works.