Client: Civil Aviation Authority of Nepal (CAAN)
Funding Agency: Asian Development Bank
Period: April 2010 to June 2017
Consulting Association: Japan Airport Consultants Inc., GEOCE Consultants (P) Ltd
Approx. Value of Services: JAC’s – US$ 3.68 million, GEOCE’s part- NRs 189.91 million
Professional Staff Input: International (120) and National (661) person months
The project will enhance safety and capacity at Tribhuvan International Airport (TIA) and three remote domestic airports-Lukla, Rara and Simikot. TIA’s airfield side infrastructure will be reconfigured and upgraded to international safety standards including provision or construction of (i) about 1,400 meters (m) of new main taxiways and link taxiways, (ii) 300 meters of runway extension and construction of runway end safety area, (iii) new international apron (about 80,000 m2), (v) an uninterrupted power supply system for essential airfield and security area lights, (vi) CNS and ATM equipment, and (vii) upgrading of rescue and firefighting system. TIA’s terminal infrastructure will be reconfigured and expanded. Basic safety improvements at the three remote domestic airports include a visual approach guidance system (VAGS) and abbreviated precision approach path indicator (APAPI) at Lukla airport, and runway threshold identification and runway end lights, CNS/ATM and MET equipment at Simikot and Rara airports. The project cost is about US$ 92 million.
The consulting services consisted of detail engineering design, procurement of works and equipment, project management assistance and construction supervision of airports upgrading/improvement works. The consulting services were provided in two phases: Design Phase (April to December 2012) and Construction Supervision Phase (September 2012 to March 2017).
In Design Phase, main services included:
- Review of TIA Master Plan updated to 2028 including air traffic demand projection, facilities requirements and assessment for Phase 1A.
- Design of Infrastructures and facilities at TIA comprising of New international apron (78300 m2), 2 exit and 1 rapid way taxiways and new parallel taxiway (starting 750 m section); Runway expansion (300 m on 02 side); Nepal Army Hangar (apron, taxiway, hangar area); Nepal Airline Hangar and Domestic Airlines Hangars (aprons, taxiways and hangar areas);Helipad (175×56 m); Car Parks for New Domestic Terminal Building (NDTB); New Apron at removed Domestic Terminal Building; New Apron at removed Departure Gates Area of International Terminal Building; Expansion and refurbishment of International Terminal Building; New Domestic Terminal Building (8000 m2); Drainage; Utilities (water supply, sewage and incinerator); Airfield Lighting and Power Supply (including runway center line lights); Foam Tender; CNS/ATM equipment at TIA consisting of VCCS, VHF communications, renewal of VFR and ACC rooms and replacement of consoles, ATC automation, and MET equipment
- Design of CNS/ATM equipment at Lukla airport comprising VAGS and Abbreviated Precision Approach Path Indicator
- Design of CNS/ATM equipment at Simikot and Rara airports consisting of Snow Plough, Fire Fighting, AFL, ATS and MET equipment
- Design of Parallel Taxiway Expansion to Runway 02 comprising Taxiway (1300 m), drainage, utilities services, ancillary buildings, perimeter road
- Preparation of Prequalification Documents for the ICB contractors,
- Evaluation of PQ Applications of contractors and assistance to PQ of the contractors
- Preparation of Bid Documents,
- Assistance to procurement of contracts (ICB-01 and ICB-02)
Construction Phase (September 2012 to June 2017)
- Construction supervision, contract administration of works and equipment divided into two packages -ICB 01: Airside and Landside Terminal Improvement at TIA, Rara and Simikot Airports (US$ 61 million) and ICB-02: Supply and Installation of CNS/ATM Equipment at TIA and Lukla Airport (US$ 4.5 M). The construction supervision of ICB-02 contract was completed in March 16, 2014 and its DLP on September 7, 2015. The construction supervision of ICB-01 was ended in December, 2016.
- Design and Preparation of Bid Documents for re-bidding of ICB-01 Works (except A04 works) divided into 3 NCB packages (i.e. NCB-01: Runway Extension and Associated Works; NCB-02: Expansion and Reconfiguration of International Terminal Building and Associated Work; NCB-03:Utility Works) based on ADB’s Standard Bidding Documents, Small Works, Single-Stage, Two- Envelope Bidding Procedure and assistance to Employer (for clarification to bidder’s queries, bids opening) during procurement of works.